Redecorating your home or adding new personal touches can often be expensive, but with a little creativity and effort, you can achieve the same results with DIY projects. Doing-It-Yourself allows you to express your individuality and add a unique style to your home. Whether you’re an expert or not, the following redo it yourself inspirations will help you turn your vision into a reality. So, grab your tools and let’s get started!
1. Build a Bookshelf
Bookshelves don’t have to be boring. By using reclaimed wood or salvaged materials, you can create a unique and functional bookshelf that doubles as a statement piece in your room. Find below some steps to follow when making your bookshelf:
- Measure the space where you want to build the bookshelf. Make sure to get the right height, width and depth.
- Decide on the type of material you want. Common materials are: wood, metal and plastic.
- Purchase the necessary materials. This includes the screws, nails and any hardware you may need.
- Cut the material to the desired size and shape, if applicable. Make sure to measure twice to ensure accuracy.
- Assemble the bookshelf. Using the screws and nails or the appropriate tools and safety equipment.
- Sand the bookshelf, if applicable. Smooth out any rough edges.
- Paint or stain the bookshelf to your desired colour.
2. Create Wall Art
If you’re looking for a way to add some personality to your walls, try creating your wall art. Use a variety of materials, such as canvas, wood or even fabric, to make a statement piece that reflects your style and interests. Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- Paint a mural: Choose a design or scene that you love and paint it directly onto your wall. You can use a variety of mediums, such as acrylic paint, spray paint or even chalk.
- Create a collage: Gather a collection of photos, artwork and other items that you love and arrange them into a collage. You can use frames, magnets or even tape to create your unique wall art.
- Add wall paper: There are lots of options out there that could work for you!
- Hang a tapestry: Tapestries are a great way to add colour and texture to your walls. You can find a variety of styles and sizes to fit your space.
3. Refinish Furniture
Give an old piece of furniture new life by refinishing it yourself. Sand down the surface, apply a fresh coat of paint or stain and add new hardware to transform the piece into something new and beautiful. You can follow these useful steps:
- Prepare the furniture: Remove any hardware, sand the surface and wipe away any dust.
- Apply a primer: Use a brush or roller to apply a coat of primer to the furniture.
- Paint the furniture: Use a brush or roller to apply a coat of paint to the furniture.
- Apply a sealer: Use a brush or roller to apply a coat of sealer to the furniture.
- Reattach hardware: Reattach any hardware that was removed in step one or add new one.
4. Build a Planter Box
Add some greenery to your outdoor space by building a planter box. Use a variety of materials, such as wood, concrete or even repurposed items like wine crates, to create a unique and attractive planter. To help you out, we gathered some do’s and don’ts when it comes to planter boxes:
- Choose a location with plenty of sunlight.
- Make sure the box is large enough for the plants you want to grow.
- Line the bottom of the box with a layer of gravel for drainage.
- Fill the box with a quality potting soil mix.
- Water regularly and fertilise as needed.
- Plant a variety of plants that will thrive in the box.
- Place a trellis or other support structure in the box for climbing plants.
- Don’t place the box in a location that is prone to flooding.
- Don’t use soil from your garden or yard in the box.
- Don’t overcrowd the box with too many plants.
- Don’t forget to water and fertilise regularly.
- Don’t use treated wood for the box.
- Don’t forget to check for pests and diseases.
5. Make Your Decorative Pillows
Decorative pillows are a great way to add colour and texture to your living space. By making your own, you can customise the size, shape and fabric to fit your style and decor. Consider using a mix of solids and prints or a combination of different sizes and shapes. For a more modern look, try using geometric patterns or bold colours. For a more traditional look, opt for floral or paisley prints. You can also mix and match different colours and textures to create a unique look.
6. Create Gifts
DIY gifts are a great way to show someone you care and decorate their home. Not only are they thoughtful, but they also allow you to express your creativity and put your personal touch on the gift. Whether you’re looking for something for a friend, family member, or significant other, there are plenty of DIY ideas to choose from. From homemade cards and decorations to personalised gifts, you can find something that will make the recipient feel extra special on their special day and remember it:
- Make a card, photo album or scrapbook.
- Design a t-shirt, pillow case or mug.
- Create a puzzle with their favourite photo.
- Get a custom decorated candle with their favourite scent.
The take home
DIY projects can be a great way to add a personal touch and save money. Not happy with what you created? Redo it! With a little creativity and some basic tools, you can create unique and beautiful pieces that will last for years to come, or until you decide it is the moment to change them. Whether you’re looking to spruce up a living room or add style to a bedroom, there are plenty of ideas that can help you achieve your goals. With a little bit of research and some hard work, you can create something truly special that will make your home look and feel like your own.